I am Dougie Watkin -Chair of the Governing Body. I would like to introduce you to the other members and to the work that we do on behalf of the children.
The Governing Body carries out a very important job behind the scenes in supporting and challenging the school staff to improve the outcomes for children.
Currently there are 10 members and all have voting rights on their committees and in the Full Governing Body:
o Kirsti Potter
o Rachel Sykes
o Jane Easton
o Rev Robert Kelsey (Vice-Chair)
o Karen Johnson
o Dougie Watkin
o Sarah Jones – Acting Head Teacher
o Jason Lugget
o Sheelagh Hume
o Victoria Craig
We have two Governing Body committees with the following members:
Strategic Policy & Direction Committee
Resource Management Committee
We work closely as a team particularly with the Headteacher on a wide variety of tasks which include:
• developing a strategic plan for the school;
• determining school aims, policies and priorities;
• setting targets;
• monitoring and evaluating the work of the school;
• appointing staff;
• managing the budget;
• securing high levels of attendance and good standards of pupil behaviour;
• ensuring that all children in the school have access to a broad and balanced curriculum;
• ensuring the health and safety of pupils and staff.
This list may seem daunting, but we can honestly say that we really enjoy the huge satisfaction we get from seeing how rapidly the school is improving and feel valued for our part in it. We are a strong team with a variety of skills who work well together and have a shared commitment to continuing the journey together for the benefit of all our children in the future.